Brief 4: Process

Home

My New Home

‘You are here’

This project requires me to respond to the notion of home. Recently I have moved to a new city where I haven’t been before. So for this brief I chose to explore Lincoln where I have moved to so I could see what’s here and where my new home is for a while.

Home is a conception, rather than a quantifiable thing, home is generally considered in human geographical terms but this project gives  you the opportunity to consider the true meaning of home and what it means to me.

When I think of Home I think of:

comfort

safety

memory

place

love

family

However when thinking of these words it all changes when you have to move from your family home to go live away from all of this. What makes this my home when I’m in the unknown?

Inspiration

There’s a reason why the first thing we often ask someone when we meet them, right after we learn their name, is “where’s home for you?”– Julie Beck, Dec 30, 2011

I came across Julie Beck’s blog while doing my research on the home brief. I found her blog really interesting because she talks about how moving from home to home can effect people differently and discusses what home really means to one person. How it could be where that person is in the world or where they physically live. Where she lives at the moment is a shrine to her homes. There’s photos everywhere of the places she has lived over the years, which she considers each one to be apart of her home.

Her blog and work inspired me to create my photos based on sights around Lincoln, as this is my home from home.

SuburbanHouses-Post-thumb-615x300-73447

Lincoln

My Home From Home

Now I’m in a new city and living here for a few years this is part of where I live, my new home. People say home is where the heart is, then by its most literal definition, my home is wherever I am. If someone asks where I’m from I say I’m living in Lincoln at the moment but my true home is Norwich. But I do still believe Lincoln is part of my home now, I’ve lived here, studied here and have made great friends here so It’s now a part of home for me.

These are some of the images I took around Lincoln when exploring my new city.

IMG_8958 IMG_8961 IMG_8962 IMG_8964 IMG_8966 IMG_8968 IMG_8970 IMG_8971 IMG_8973 IMG_8974

Contact Sheet

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 22.26.37